Monday 19 November 2012

Edward (Ted) Kayser - Farewell

Friends and family bid farewell today to one of Australia's industrial design pioneers Edward Robert James Kayser in a wonderful service at the Christ Church Longford Tasmania. I was honoured to represent the Design Institute of Australia and Monash University and pay tribute to Ted's service to education and the profession and to share with all his significant contribution to industrial design in Australia.


Edward Robert James Kayser 1937-2012

3 comments:

  1. Fond memories of Ted.
    Farewell my good friend.
    I had the very great pleasure of sharing Ted's studio in South Yarra in the 1960s when I was studying fine art at RMIT. Ted had space available in his studio and posted an ad on the art school notice board for anyone who may be interested, that is how we met. His subsequent mentoring advice and professional influence have stayed with me to this day.
    One of the finest people I've known.
    J. Nye
    Nyegraphic
    Hong Kong
    11.01.2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear J,

    Thanks for your comment. I did not know Ted had a studio in South Yarra in the 1960s.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian,
      I knew of you through Ted but I don't think we ever had the pleasure of meeting. He spoke very highly of you. Ted had the top floor of that beautiful old Bauhaus style building on the corner of Park Street, overlooking the Park. It probably isn't there anymore. In those days it was a light cream colour but later I think they painted it grey. Two projects he worked on while I was there were a complete re-design for a line of washing machines, and a more natural look for women's bra's. We kept in touch and some years later I visited him at Monash Uni. With his sharp intellect and great sense of humour I'm sure he influenced the lives of many many people.
      Best regards,
      John

      Delete